Upgrading from Room to Flat

Welcome to Home Relief Bulletin Board

Monday 21 May 2018

by Lettings and Management Team

Post No. 37


You may feel like you are stuck in a room within a multiple accommodation/occupation where you have to share facilities like kitchen, bathroom, toilet and sometimes living room, with at least 3 people.  Likewise, you may have the impression that you are not getting value for your money as the space could be tricky when living in a room.

A house in multiple occupation is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (e.g. a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen.

This week we are working with renters living in rooms to find out ways of upgrading to self-contained flats.   

A self contained flat is defined in the Housing Act 2004 as:

  • A separate set of premises (whether or not on the same floor) which forms part of a building;

  • either the whole or material part of which lies above or below some other part of the building; and

  • in which a toilet, personal washing facilities and cooking facilities are available for the exclusive use of its occupants

Every home seeker or renter has their own personal circumstances related to their income, occupation, family status, educational requirement, health needs etc.  

To upgrade in terms of accommodation, consideration must be taken about these personal circumstances.  Some may easily upgrade because they have the means and capacity to do so.  Others (particularly those within low income brackets) may need some sorts of advice, guidance, information and support.

For those who may need support to upgrade from renting a room to moving to a self-contained flat, Home Relief can work with you in handling all the necessary steps you need to go through in order to reach your upgrading goal smoothly.

Working together with you regarding property rental upgrading can include the following:

√ Budgeting (how much can you afford?)

√ Time scale (what is the time you want to upgrade?)

√ Location (where do you want your flat?)

√ Type of property required (Studio, 1 or 2 or 3 bedroom flats?) 

√ Renter’s profile

The above is part of Help to Rent by Home Relief.

This Help to Rent is accessible to all types of home seekers: students, young working professionals, professional couples, families, universal credit and housing benefit claimants, retirees etc.

If you have a problem to move from a room your are currently renting to a self-contained flat, Home Relief can help you find your target flat at affordable rent. 

Even if you are not sure, still contact Home Relief.  Help to Rent is available at Home Relief.      

Want to upgrade from a room to a self-contained flat? Don’t hesitate to contact Home Relief NOW!   

For more information about our rental service to tenants (including further details about Help to Rent), please go to https://homerelief.co/tenants/

For weekly property news and updates, please read our weekly posts.

For property search, go to https://homerelief.co/property-search/

Thank you for reading this post.

We look forward to receiving your regular visits to Home Relief website and to doing business with you.

Many thanks!

Home Relief – an e-property letting agency that relieves your needs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.